Small private enterprise "Modela" established in 1994 as a scale model laboratory.
Part of personal from 1995 to 1999 work in USA company "EUROTECH MODELS Inc" Latvia departament, where design and manufacture 1/25 scale car plastic model kit mastermodels and master moulds for USA companies "MONOGRAM", "LINDBERG", "AMT-ERTL", "TESTOR" etc.
By us designed and made mastermodel for "LINDBERG"s 1953 Ford VICTORIA model - model of the year 1997 in USA.
After some changes, from 2000 was reestablished work of independent small private enterprise "Modela". First our production was some car models in scale 1/43. From end of 2000 our main production is 1/87 (HO) scale railway models- models of former USSR cargo wagons.
From May 2003 we work under registered name "Modela-R".
From November 2009 we change our location to Liepaja (Liepaya, Libau), and now we work under name "Modela-L"
LIEPAJA (LIBAU) - city, where the wind is born
Liepaja - ANNO 1625
Liepaja is located in Kurzeme administrative region. In the ancient times this was the territory of two people - Livs and Curonians. Liepaja has developed from small fishermen villages located near Liva River. On April 4, 1253 this place was first mentioned in documents, dividing this land between Livonian Order and Bishop of Courland. In 1560, when the Order fell apart, Liepaja with its surrounding territories was pledged to Prussia.On March 18, 1625 Frederich, Duke of Courland signed the document granting Liepaja city rights. As Liva River often got chocked with sand the dredging of canal begun in 1697. The city grew with the development of port.
In 1795 Courland (today - Kurzeme) became a province of the Russian Empire and Liepaja Port was used for export of grain, wood, linen, wool, oil, etc. The peak of city’s development started with the construction of Liepaja - Romni (today in Ukraine) railway. A Transatlantic ferry line Liepaja - New York - Halifax was opened in 1906. This progress fostered also the development of local industry - many companies including the ascendant of today’s Liepājas Metalurgs were opened in this time. In 1914 the population of Liepaja
was 110 thousand.
Russian Tsar Nikolay II believed that Liepaja is a perfect place for a fortress. From 1899 to 1909 a military port, and 8 km of land forts were constructed. Although this fortress was never used, the military town built around it with Officer’s Palace, Orthodox Church, and Riding Manege that were later used by the Soviet Army, are a great monument of history and a tourist attraction.
During the World War I Liepaja was occupied by German army. After the war, when the independent state of Latvia was founded, Liepaja became the capital of Latvia when the interim government of Latvia fled from Riga on a ship, and returned to today/'s capital - Riga only after half a year.
The World War II caused severe damage to the city - many buildings were destroyed in bombings.
During the Soviet time the economy of Liepaja was boosted by construction of large plants and import of labour force from other Soviet republics. One third of the city was a Soviet Naval Base with 26 thousand military members. Thus Liepaja became a closed city and
even local people had to have a special permit to enter the city.
After regaining of independence Liepaja has worked hard to change from a military city into a modern port city marked on European maps. The commercial port was re-opened in 1991. In 1994 last Russian Federation troops left Liepaja. Since then Liepaja has engaged in international co-operation, has found 11 twin and partner cities and is an active partner in several co-operation networks. In 1997 Liepaja
Special Economic Zone providing low tax environment was established for 20 years in order to attract foreign investments and facilitate the economic development of Liepaja.
Transport in Liepaja
The peak of city's development started with the construction of Liepaja- Rommny (today in Ukraine) railway. This railway was owned from 1871 by Liepaja Railway Society, later from 1877 by Liepaja- Rommny Railway Society, from 1894 - by Russian government. Firdt part was built in 1871 - Liepaja (Libau) - Kaishadoris.
Between WW1 and WW2 Liepaja was the only place in Latvia, where all 5 gauges used in Latvia where found at.
1520 mm gauge: Liepaja - Riga (Former Liepaja- Rommny thru Mazeikai railway, 1929 built direct Riga - Liepaja (Gluda- Liepaja) line;
1435 mm gauge: Liepaja- Vainode- Klaipeda- Keningsberg line;
1000 mm gauge: Liepaja- Aizpute (Hasenpott) line built 1900 by Hasenpotter (Aizpute) Railway Society. From 1938 Latvian Government, closed 1964.
750 mm gauge: Liepaja- Alsunga line built 1932, later regauged to 1435 mm (WW2) , and 1520 mm (after WW2).
600 mm gauge: Liepaja - Rucava line built 1916 by German Army (Dubeni-Rucava), full length from 1922, closed 1960.
Liepaja Tram - ANNO 1899
Electric tram start to work in Liepaja September 26.1899. This is the oldest electric tram line in Baltic. Now working only one line with total length about 7 km, with historic 1000 mm gauge.
Liepaja- first city conected to Riga by air. At begin of 1937 at the end of O.Kalpaka street, near Kalpaka bridge is built Air Port. First flight on May 15.1937 started by two DeHaviland DRAGON RAPID type planes. Planes was signed YL-ABC, YL-ABD. Every day (from April to October) was 2 flights to Riga and back. from this place flights go up to 1939, when Soviet Army was located near.
After WW2 flights was renewed from the same place, usin Soviet Po-2 planes at first time. Later was used diferent types of Soviet planes. Liepaja have direct routes to Riga, Moscow, Simferopol, Kaliningrad, Leningrad etc.
Now existing international airport is situated in former military air base, is used for business flights. Awailable to receive any type of planes - up to 747 or C5.
SCALE MODEL ENGINEERING AND PRODUCTION